Explosive Ordnance Team investigates blast in Datu Piang

13 July 2010
Datu Piang, Maguindanao

Datu Piang – Explosive Ordnance Team (EOD) of 6th infantry division has arrived in Datu Piang this morning together with the elements of 29th IB led by Lt. Col Benedict Arevalo to conduct further investigation on the incident of explosion took place in the main gate of Municipal Police Station, near the police outpost here.

The EOD team findings is the same with the initial spot report done by the municipal police saying that the bomb is from 81 mm Improvised Explosive Device (IED) concealed in a black adidas backpack and buried on the ground where the PNP outpost is located. Recovered at the place of incident were fragments of batteries, cellular phone and 81 mm.

The explosion took place on July 12, 2010 at 8: 10 in the evening killing an eight-year old boy and wounding two other children and a school supervisor in municipality of Datu Saudi Ampatuan.

Nasser Kimpao, one of the victims was driving his motorcycle and passed at the municipal plaza when the incident happened. Moctar, one of the children victims just followed his father in a restaurant near the blast site but while on their way home riding in a ‘trisikad’ the sudden blast was heard. The boy immediately died due to severe wounds while his father was not hurt. Yasser and Manuel were also walking along the highway when the explosion happened and were hit by shrapnels of the IED.

The survivors were immediately rushed to a private hospital, Yasser and Manuel were referred to Maguindanao Provincial Hospital and Kimpao with minor wound on his leg was escorted to his residence after he received medical treatment.

The victims are all residents of Poblacion, Datu Piang. Yasser and Manuel are first year high school students in a private school in the municipality.

The burial of Moctar was immediately arranged and set in the afternoon today following the Muslim tradition that dead should be buried within twenty four hours.

At present, suspects on the incident were not yet identified by the local police but the investigation is still ongoing.# (EGM)

No comments: